- Peretti-Watel P, Guagliardo V, Verger P, Pruvost J, Mignon P, Obadia Y. Sporting activity and drug use: Alcohol, cigarette and cannabis use among elite student athletes. Addiction 2003; 98(9): 1249-56.
- Fallahi A, Ravasi A, Farhud D. Genetic doping and health damages. Iran J Public Health 2011; 40(1): 1-14.
- Kanayama G, Hudson JI, Pope HG, Jr. Illicit anabolic-androgenic steroid use. Horm Behav 2010; 58(1): 111-21.
- Kouri EM, Pope HG, Jr., Katz DL, Oliva P. Fat-free mass index in users and nonusers of anabolic-androgenic steroids. Clin J Sport Med 1995; 5(4): 223-8.
- World Anti-Doping Agency. The World Anti-Doping Code. International Standard. Prohibited List January 2017. [Online]. [cited 29 Sep 29]; Available from: URL: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/2016-09-29_-_wada_prohibited_list_2017_eng_final.pdf
- Razavi Z, Moeini B, Shafiei Y, Bazmamoun H. Prevalence of anabolic steroid use and associated factors among body-builders in Hamadan, West province of Iran. J Res Health Sci 2014; 14(2): 163-6.
- Toohey JV. Non-medical drug use among intercollegiate athletes at five American universities. Bull Narc 1978; 30(3): 61-4.
- Angoorani H, Narenjiha H, Tayyebi B, Ghassabian A, Ahmadi G, Assari S. Amphetamine use and its associated factors in body builders: A study from Tehran, Iran. Arch Med Sci 2012; 8(2): 362-7.
- Johnston LD, O'Malley PM, Bachman JG,
Schulenberg JE. Monitoring the future national survey results on drug use, 1975-2009. Volume II. College students and adults ages 19-50 (NIH Publication No. 09-7403). Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse National Institutes of HealthU.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2010.
10. McCabe SE, Brower KJ, West BT, Nelson TF, Wechsler H. Trends in non-medical use of anabolic steroids by U.S. college students: Results from four national surveys. Drug Alcohol Depend 2007;
11. Graham MR, Davies B, Grace FM, Kicman A, Baker JS. Anabolic steroid use: Patterns of use and detection of doping. Sports Med 2008; 38(6): 505-25.
12. Angoorani H, Halabchi F. The misuse of anabolic-androgenic steroids among Iranian recreational male body-builders and their related psycho-socio-demographic factors. Iran J Public Health 2015; 44(12): 1662-9.
13. Skarberg K, Nyberg F, Engstrom I. Multisubstance use as a feature of addiction to anabolic-androgenic steroids. Eur Addict Res 2009; 15(2): 99-106.
14. Thiblin I, Petersson A. Pharmacoepidemiology of anabolic androgenic steroids: A review. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2005; 19(1): 27-44.
15. Kanayama G, Pope HG, Jr., Hudson JI. "Body image" drugs: A growing psychosomatic problem. Psychother Psychosom 2001; 70(2): 61-5.
16. Brennan BP, Kanayama G, Hudson JI, Pope HG, Jr. Human growth hormone abuse in male weightlifters. Am J Addict 2011; 20(1): 9-13.
17. Hildebrandt T, Alfano L, Langenbucher JW. Body image disturbance in 1000 male appearance and performance enhancing drug users. J Psychiatr Res 2010; 44(13): 841-6.
18. Kanayama G, Hudson JI, Pope HG, Jr. Long-term psychiatric and medical consequences of anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse: A looming public health concern? Drug Alcohol Depend 2008; 98(1-2): 1-12.
19. Pope HG, Jr., Katz DL. Psychiatric effects of exogenous anabolic-androgenic steroids. In: Wolkowitz OM, Rothschild AJ, editors. Psychoneuroendocrinology: The scientific basis of clinical practice. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2003. p. 331-58.
20. Kanayama G, Brower KJ, Wood RI, Hudson JI, Pope HG, Jr. Anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence: An emerging disorder. Addiction 2009; 104(12): 1966-78.
21. Kanayama G, Brower KJ, Wood RI, Hudson JI, Pope HG, Jr. Treatment of anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence: Emerging evidence and its implications. Drug Alcohol Depend 2010; 109(1-3): 6-13.
22. Pope HG, Kean J, Nash A, Kanayama G, Samuel DB, Bickel WK, et al. A diagnostic interview module for anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence: Preliminary evidence of reliability and validity. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 2010; 18(3): 203-13.
23. Pope HG, Jr., Kanayama G, Hudson JI. Risk factors for illicit anabolic-androgenic steroid use in male weightlifters: a cross-sectional cohort study. Biol Psychiatry 2012; 71(3): 254-61.
24. Rahati A. Reliability and validity of the Multidimensional Body-Self Relations Questionnaire (MBSRQ) used among female adolescents in Iran [MSc Thesis]. Tehran, Iran: University of Tehran; 2004. [In Persian].
25. Hajiabdolbaghi M, Razani N, Karami N, Kheirandish P, Mohraz M, Rasoolinejad M, et al. Insights from a survey of sexual behavior among a group of at-risk women in Tehran, Iran, 2006. AIDS Educ Prev 2007; 19(6): 519-30.
26. Kashi A, Kargarfard M, Moulavi H, Sarlak Z.
Ergogenic substance in body building athletes: Prevalence, cognitive and awareness of about their side effects. Olympic 2006; 14(2): 73-86.
27. Mottram DR. Prevalence of drug misuse in sport. In: Mottram DR, editor. Drugs in sport. 5th ed. London, UK: Routledge; 2011.
28. Halabchi F. Doping in athletes. Hakim Health Sys Res 2007; 10(1): 1-12. [In Persian].
29. Angoorani H, Tayyebi B. The association between psycho-socio-demographic factors and substance abuse in Iranian male bodybuilders. American Journal of Sports Science 2015; 3(1): 13-7.
30. Kanayama G, Hudson JI, Pope HG, Jr. Features of men with anabolic-androgenic steroid dependence: A comparison with nondependent AAS users and with AAS nonusers. Drug Alcohol Depend 2009;
31. Dunn M, Mazanov J, Sitharthan G. Predicting future anabolic-androgenic steroid use intentions with current substance use: Findings from an internet-based survey. Clin J Sport Med 2009; 19(3): 222-7.
32. Iversen L. Speed, Ecstasy, Ritalin: The science of amphetamines. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2008.
33. Rawson RA, Gonzales R, McCann M, Ling W. Use of methamphetamine by young people: is there reason for concern? Addiction 2007; 102(7): 1021-2.
34. Feiz Zadeh A. Ecstasy: A new substance. Social Welfare 2002; 1(4):135-43. [In Persian].
35. Lorente FO, Peretti-Watel P, Grelot L. Cannabis use to enhance sportive and non-sportive performances among French sport students. Addict Behav 2005; 30(7): 1382-91.
36. Mosley PE. Bigorexia: Bodybuilding and muscle dysmorphia. Eur Eat Disord Rev 2009; 17(3): 191-8.
37. Babusa B, Tury F. Muscle dysmorphia in Hungarian non-competitive male bodybuilders. Eat Weight Disord 2012; 17(1): e49-e53.
38. Mangweth B, Pope HG, Jr., Kemmler G, Ebenbichler C, Hausmann A, De Col C, et al. Body image and psychopathology in male bodybuilders. Psychother Psychosom 2001; 70(1): 38-43.