1. Usmani ZA, Carson KV, Heslop K, Esterman AJ, De Soyza A, Smith BJ. Psychological therapies for the treatment of anxiety disorders in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 3: CD010673.
2. Pommer AM, Pouwer F, Denollet J, Pop VJ. Managing co-morbid depression and anxiety in primary care patients with asthma and/or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2012; 13: 6.
3. Goodwin RD, Lavoie KL, Lemeshow AR, Jenkins E, Brown ES, Fedoronko DA. Depression, anxiety, and COPD: The unexamined role of nicotine dependence. Nicotine Tob Res 2012; 14(2): 176-83.
4. Maurer J, Rebbapragada V, Borson S, Goldstein R, Kunik ME, Yohannes AM, et al. Anxiety and depression in COPD: Current understanding, unanswered questions, and research needs. Chest 2008; 134(4 Suppl): 43S-56S.
5. Covic T, Cumming SR, Pallant JF, Manolios N, Emery P, Conaghan PG, et al. Depression and anxiety in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Prevalence rates based on a comparison of the Depression, Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS) and the hospital, Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS). BMC Psychiatry 2012; 12: 6.
6. Schauer GL, Wheaton AG, Malarcher AM, Croft JB. Health-care provider screening and advice for smoking cessation among smokers with and without COPD: 2009-2010 national adult tobacco survey. Chest 2016; 149(3): 676-84.
7. Gratziou C, Florou A, Ischaki E, Eleftheriou K, Sachlas A, Bersimis S, et al. Smoking cessation effectiveness in smokers with COPD and asthma under real life conditions. Respir Med 2014; 108(4): 577-83.
8. John U, Meyer C, Rumpf HJ, Hapke U. Smoking, nicotine dependence and psychiatric comorbidity-a population-based study including smoking cessation after three years. Drug Alcohol Depend 2004; 76(3): 287-95.
9. Schauer GL, Wheaton AG, Malarcher AM, Croft JB. Smoking prevalence and cessation characteristics among U.S. adults with and without COPD: Findings from the 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. COPD 2014; 11(6): 697-704.
10. Heydari G, Marashian M, Ebn Ahmady A, Masjedi M, Lando HA. Which form of nicotine replacement therapy is more effective for quitting smoking? A study in Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J 2012; 18(10): 1005-10.
11. Tashkin DP. Smoking cessation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2015; 36(4): 491-507.
12. Sobell MB, Sobell LC. Guided self-change model of treatment for substance use disorders. J Cogn Psychother 2005; 19(3): 199-210.
13. Wilson GT, Zandberg LJ. Cognitive-behavioral guided self-help for eating disorders: Effectiveness and scalability. Clin Psychol Rev 2012; 32(4): 343-57.
14. Camarelles F, Asensio A, Jimenez-Ruiz C, Becerril B, Rodero D, Vidaller O. Effectiveness of a group therapy intervention to quit smoking. Randomized clinical trial. Med Clin (Barc) 2002; 119(2): 53-7.
15. Velicer WF, DiClemente CC, Prochaska JO, Brandenburg N. Decisional balance measure for assessing and predicting smoking status. J Pers Soc Psychol 1985; 48(5): 1279-89.
16. Javors MA, Hatch JP, Lamb RJ. Cut-off levels for breath carbon monoxide as a marker for cigarette smoking. Addiction 2005; 100(2): 159-67.
17. Killen JD, Fortmann SP, Newman B, Varady A. Evaluation of a treatment approach combining nicotine gum with self-guided behavioral treatments for smoking relapse prevention. J Consult Clin Psychol 1990; 58(1): 85-92.
18. Bjelland I, Dahl AA, Haug TT, Neckelmann D. The validity of the hospital anxiety and depression scale. An updated literature review. J Psychosom Res 2002; 52(2): 69-77.
19. Olsson I, Mykletun A, Dahl AA. The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Rating Scale: A cross-sectional study of psychometrics and case finding abilities in general practice. BMC Psychiatry 2005; 5: 46.
20. Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1983; 67(6): 361-70.
21. Parreira VF, Kirkwood RN, Towns M, Aganon I, Barrett L, Darling C, et al. Is there an association between symptoms of anxiety and depression and quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? Can Respir J 2015; 22(1): 37-41.
22. Eslami AA, Rabiei L, Afzali SM, Hamidizadeh S, Masoudi R. The effectiveness of assertiveness training on the levels of stress, anxiety, and depression of high school students. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2016; 18(1): e21096.
23. Nilges P, Essau C. Depression, anxiety and stress scales: DASS-A screening procedure not only for pain patients. Schmerz 2015; 29(6): 649-57.
24. Ghassemzadeh H, Mojtabai R, Karamghadiri N, Ebrahimkhani N. Psychometric properties of a Persian-language version of the Beck Depression Inventory-Second edition: BDI-II-PERSIAN. Depress Anxiety 2005; 21(4): 185-92.
25. Beck AT. Measuring depression: The depression inventory. In: Williams TA, Katz MM, Shield JA, Editors. Recent Advances in the Psychobiology of the Depressive Illnesses: Proceedings of a Workshop. Washington, DC: U.S. National Institute of Mental Health; 1972. p. 299-302.
26. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1961; 4: 561-71.
27. Taylor G, McNeill A, Girling A, Farley A, Lindson-Hawley N, Aveyard P. Change in mental health after smoking cessation: Systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2014; 348: g1151.
28. Parrott AC. Does cigarette smoking cause stress? Am Psychol 1999; 54(10): 817-20.
29. Clancy N, Zwar N, Richmond R. Depression, smoking and smoking cessation: A qualitative study. Fam Pract 2013; 30(5): 587-92.
30. Brose LS, Simonavicius E, McNeill A. Maintaining abstinence from smoking after a period of enforced
abstinence-systematic review, meta-analysis and analysis of behaviour change techniques with a focus on mental health. Psychol Med 2018; 48(4): 669-78.
31. Bentsen SB, Gundersen D, Assmus J, Bringsvor H, Berland A. Multiple symptoms in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Norway. Nurs Health Sci 2013; 15(3): 292-9.
32. Bentsen SB, Miaskowski C, Rustoen T. Demographic and clinical characteristics associated with quality of life in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Qual Life Res 2014; 23(3): 991-8.
33. Iguchi A, Senjyu H, Hayashi Y, Kanada R, Iwai S, Honda S, et al. Relationship between depression in patients with COPD and the percent of predicted FEV(1), BODE index, and health-related quality of life. Respir Care 2013; 58(2): 334-9.
34. Cinciripini PM, Wetter DW, Fouladi RT, Blalock JA, Carter BL, Cinciripini LG, et al. The effects of depressed mood on smoking cessation: Mediation by postcessation self-efficacy. J Consult Clin Psychol 2003; 71(2): 292-301.
35. Wilson I. Depression in the patient with COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2006; 1(1): 61-4.
36. van der Meer RM, Willemsen MC, Smit F, Cuijpers P. Smoking cessation interventions for smokers with current or past depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; (8): CD006102.