Document Type: Original Article(s)
MSc Student, Department of Psychology, School of Humanities, West Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, School of Humanities, West Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Background: The increase of hope and quality of life (QOL) can play a significant role in improving the mental health of drug addicts. Accordingly, the present study aimed to determine the effectiveness of positive thinking skills training on hope and QOL of drug-dependent people.Methods: The present study is a quasi-experimental research with pre- and post-test design with the control group. The study population consisted of all men dependent on drugs who visited addiction treatment centers in Tehran, Iran, in 2016. Thirty subjects were selected using cluster sampling and were randomly assigned to control and experimental groups. The results were analyzed using SPSS.Findings: The mean scores of pre-test and post-test for hope were 31.67 ± 6.47 and 49.68 ± 10.69, for physical fitness were 17.01 ± 4.21 and 22.84 ± 4.98, for psychological health were 15.36 ± 3.45 and 20.98 ± 3.32, for social relations were 7.80 ± 2.34 and 10.96 ± 2.64, and for environmental health were 20.47 ± 4.36 and 27.50 ± 4.80, respectively, in experimental group (P < 0.050).Conclusion: It is recommended that addiction treatment centers teach positive thinking skills to drug-dependent people in order to increase their hope and QOL.
- Bulin SE, Masiulis I, Rivera PD, Eisch AJ. Addiction, hippocampal neurogenesis, and neuroplasticity in the adult brain. In: Miller PM, Editor. Biological research on addiction: Comprehensive addictive behaviors and disorders. New York, NY: Academic Press; 2013. p. 291-303.
- Khalatbari J, Bazarganiyan N. Comparison the depression, anxiety and stress in intravenous drug abusers, with and without HIV/ AIDS. J Guilan Univ Med Sci 2011; 20(78): 76-83. [In Persian].
- Edalati A, Redzuan M. Perception of women towards family values and their marital satisfaction. J Am Sci 2010; 6(4): 132-7.
- Galanter M. Innovations: Alcohol & drug abuse: Spirituality in alcoholics anonymous: A valuable adjunct to psychiatric services. Psychiatr Serv 2006; 57(3): 307-9.
- Maremmani I, Pani PP, Pacini M, Perugi G. Substance use and quality of life over 12 months among buprenorphine maintenance-treated and methadone maintenance-treated heroin-addicted patients. J Subst Abuse Treat 2007; 33(1): 91-8.
- Robinson FP. Measurement of quality of life in HIV disease. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 2004; 15(5 Suppl): 14S-9S.
- Schalock RL, Brown I, Brown R, Cummins RA, Felce D, Matikka L, et al. Conceptualization, measurement, and application of quality of life for persons with intellectual disabilities: Report of an international panel of experts. Ment Retard 2002; 40(6): 457-70.
- Groh DR, Jason LA, Keys CB. Social network variables in alcoholics anonymous: A literature review. Clin Psychol Rev 2008; 28(3): 430-50.
- Feelemyer JP, Jarlais DCD, Arasteh K, Phillips BW, Hagan H. Changes in quality of life (WHOQOL-BREF) and addiction severity index (ASI) among participants in opioid substitution treatment (OST) in low and middle income countries: An international systematic review. Drug Alcohol Depend 2014; 134: 251-8.
- Diener E, Chan MY. Happy people live longer: Subjective well-being contributes to health and longevity. Appl Psychol Health Well Being 2011; 3(1): 1-43.
- Snyder CR, Lopez SJ. Handbook of positive psychology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2005.
- Yalom ID. The theory and practice of group psychotherapy. New York, NY: Basic Books p. 101-49; 2017.
- Braithwaite V. The hope process and social inclusion. Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci 2004; 592: 128-51.
- Dockray S, Steptoe A. Positive affect and psychobiological processes. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2010; 35(1): 69-75.
- Schueller SM. Positive psychology. In: Ramachandran VS, Editor. Encyclopedia of human behavior. Cambridge, MA: Academic Press; 2012. p. 140-7.
- Seligman ME. Authentic happiness: Using the new positive psychology to realize your potential for lasting fulfillment. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster; 2002.
- Rashid T, Seligman ME. Positive psychotherapy: A treatment manual. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2014.
- Alberto J, Joyner B. Hope, optimism, and self-care among better breathers support group members with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Appl Nurs Res 2008; 21(4): 212-7.
- Lee V, Robin Cohen S, Edgar L, Laizner AM, Gagnon AJ. Meaning-making intervention during breast or colorectal cancer treatment improves self-esteem, optimism, and self-efficacy. Soc Sci Med 2006; 62(12): 3133-45.
- Kermani Z, Khoda Panahi MK, Heidari M. Psychometrics features of the Snyder hope scale. J Appl Psychol 2011; 5(3): 7-23. [In Persian].
- Dabiri M. The effectiveness of mindfulness based cognitive behavioral on increase hope in people with anxiety among patients [MSc Thesis]. Urmia, Iran: School of Psychology, Urmia Branch, Islamic Azad University; 2014. [In Persian].
- Omranifard V, Esmailinejad Y, Maracy MR, Davarpanah AH. The effects of modified family psychoeducation on the relative's quality of life and family burden in patients with bipolar type I disorder. J Isfahan Med Sch 2009; 27(100): 1-12. [In Persian].
- Nasiri H. Evaluation of reliability and validity of the world health organization quality of life and its Iranian version. Proceedings of 3rd National Seminar mental health of students; 2006 May 25-26; Tehran, Iran: 2006. [In Persian].
- van Esch L, Den Oudsten BL, De Vries J. 71 Psychometric properties of the WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment in women with malignant and benign breast problems. EJC Suppl 2010; 8(3): 79.
- Rahimi M. Family Communication Patterns impact on the quality of life of a group of students [MSc Thesis]. Shiraz, Iran: School of Educational Psychology: Shiraz University; 2007. [In Persian].
- Nikmanesh Z, Zandvakili M. The effect of positive thinking training on quality of life, depression, stress and anxiety in delinquent juveniles. Positive Psychology Research 2015; 1(2): 53-64. [In Persian].
- Saeedi H, Mosavi Nasab SM, Mehdizadeh Zare Anari A, Ebrahimi H, Gorgani Nejad M, Koros D. Effectiveness of positive psychology interventions based on Islamic view on quality of life and hope for women with multiple sclerosis in Kerman. Proceedings 1st National Conference on Scientific Research, Psychology, Educational Sciences and social Pathology; 2016 Sep. 1; Kerman, Iran. [In Persian].
- Dargahi S, Mohsenzade F, Zahrakar K. The effect of positive thinking training on psychological well-being and perceived quality of marital relationship on infertile women. Positive Psychology Research 2015; 1(3): 45-58. [In Persian].
- Layous K, Lee H, Choi I, Lyubomirsky S. Culture matters when designing a successful happiness-increasing activity a comparison of the United States and South Korea. J Cross Cult Psychol 2013; 44(8): 1294-303.
- Sergeant S, Mongrain M. An online optimism intervention reduces depression in pessimistic individuals. J Consult Clin Psychol 2014; 82(2): 263-74.
- Sadeghi H, Ebrahimi L, Vatandoust L. Effectiveness of hope therapy protocol on depression and hope in amphetamine users. Int J High Risk Behav Addict 2015; 4(4): e21905.
- Porzoor P, Alizadeh Ghoradel J, Yaghuti H, Basharpoor S. Effectiveness of positive psychotherapy in improving opiate addicts' quality of life. Research on Addiction 2015; 9(35): 137-48. [In Persian].
- Quilliam S. Optimism and positivism applications. Trans. Barati Sadeh F, Sadeghi A. Tehran, Iran: Javaneh Roshd Publications; 2007. [In Persian].
- Momeni F, Moshtagh N, Pourshahbaz A. Effectiveness of cognitive-behavioral group therapy on improving quality of life in opiate addicts under methadone maintenance treatment. Research on Addiction 2013; 7(27): 79-92. [In Persian].
- Nikoozadeh EK. Compare the effectiveness of intervention programs based on positive psychology and Adlerian group therapy in promoting resilience. Cross-Cultural Counseling and Psychotherapy 2011; (5): 1-28.
- Bolier L, Haverman M, Westerhof GJ, Riper H, Smit F, Bohlmeijer E. Positive psychology interventions: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies. BMC Public Health 2013; 13: 119.
- Taylor SE, Kemeny ME, Reed GM, Bower JE, Gruenewald TL. Psychological resources, positive illusions, and health. Am Psychol 2000; 55(1): 99-109.
- Seligman ME. Flourish: A visionary new understanding of happiness and well-being. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster; 2011.